Business Development Officer
Washington, D.C. or New York City | Full Time
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Business Development Officer will be an integral part of the Development team. The Business Development Officer will be responsible for identifying new sources of revenue and increasing donations to Malala Fund to support the ambitious goals and growth set forth in the organisation’s recently-adopted strategic plan. They will be tasked with developing and managing the donor prospect list, creating effective outreach and fundraising strategies, building relationships with prospects and converting prospects to donors.
The ideal candidate is outgoing, ambitious, analytical, personable and has a strong understanding of the issues surrounding girls’ education. The candidate should be comfortable with public speaking, attending events, initiating conversation and directly soliciting support.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
Develops a strategic outreach and fundraising approach
- In collaboration with the Director of Development, supports and sets department fundraising goals through analysis of prospects and opportunities.
- In collaboration with the Director of Development, Major Gifts Officer and other members of the organisation, leads in the development of strategic fundraising plans and outreach efforts to solicit and pitch identified prospects.
Leads in prospect research to identify new sources of funding
- Leads research efforts to identify new potential sources of revenue, including individuals, institutional foundations and corporations.
- Oversees the creation of the organisation’s target prospect lists, donor profiles and briefing book materials.
- Works with the Development Associate to ensure contacts and opportunities are up to date and being tracked closely in Salesforce.
Conducts active fundraising to secure financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations
- Identifies and leads in preparing touch point opportunities with prospects. Secures meetings, attends and leads in prospect cultivation, and supports staff interactions and meetings with prospects. Leads in fundraising conversations and pitches to prospects.
- Writes concise and compelling development documents, including both unrestricted and restricted fundraising proposals, concept papers, presentations and pitch decks, and other marketing collateral.
- Conducts frequent travel (20%) to attend meetings and conduct active networking to expand Malala Fund’s network. Represents Malala Fund at conferences, meetings and other interactions with prospects.
- Supports the Director of Development in the grant agreement and contract process to onboard a donor.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least five years of fundraising experience, preferably with major donors, corporations and/or foundations.
- Track record of meeting or exceeding annual revenue goals.
- Demonstrated experience converting prospects into donors.
- Strong research experience with donors.
- Superior interpersonal, organisation and prioritisation skills.
- Excellent communication and solicitation skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to create and manage a busy workload, and work effectively with a wide variety of people in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and frequent deadlines.
- Ability and desire to travel domestically and internationally.
- Strong commitment to Malala Fund’s mission, purpose and values.
- A demonstrated commitment to gender and racial equality.
- Pre-existing authorisation to work in the United States.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter through the form on the right of this page by November 30, 2019. If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating “Business Development Officer” in the subject line of your email.
Please note that due to the high number of applications we receive when a position is posted, we are only able to respond directly to candidates with whom we wish to move forward in the interview process.
Malala Fund is committed to safeguarding children and employment with our team is conditional upon successfully completing a background check.
About Malala Fund
Registered as a public charity in the U.K. and U.S., Malala Fund is working toward a world where all girls can learn for 12 years and lead without fear. We advocate for resources and policy changes needed to give all girls a secondary education. The girls we serve have high goals for themselves — and we have high expectations for leaders who can help them. We invest in developing country education leaders and frontline organisations — the people who best understand girls in their communities — in regions where most girls are missing out on secondary school. We amplify girls’ voices. Malala Fund is building a movement of young education activists who, like Malala, speak truth to power around the world.