Middle East Regional Representative
Lebanon, Beirut | Part-time consultant (16 days/month)
The Representative will serve as the Malala Fund representative in the region, working primarily in Lebanon and Turkey. S/he will lead the development of new work and forge partnerships with organizations and individuals in order to advance Malala Fund’s programming, advocacy, communications and fundraising.
The Representative will facilitate and grow a network of education advocates that advances opportunities for girls to complete a full course of quality, safe, free education. S/he will identify and realize national opportunities to bring the influence of this network and Malala Fund as an organization to bear on the cause of girls’ education.
S/he will be well positioned to support Malala Fund’s communications work nationally and in the wider region and to identify and foster new fundraising and advocacy partnerships.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Serve as Malala Fund representative and liaison to partners and at relevant events in the region.
- Identify opportunities to further Malala Fund advocacy objectives with grantees and partners in the region.
- Work with Malala Fund advocacy team to support the development and implementation ofadvocacy strategies in the region.
- Supply evidence from Malala Fund national advocacy to inform Malala Fund’s global advocacy for girls’ secondary education.
Programme Officer - Identify organizations and individuals in the region with the ability to accelerate positive change for girls’ education. - Assist potential grantee organizations in developing and putting forward funding proposals in line with their organization’s mission and that advance Malala Fund goals. - Support adaptation of Malala Fund programmes to suit conflict and humanitarian settings. - With Malala Fund programmes team, support administration of grants, including reviewing and commenting on progress reports and ensuring accurate and timely reporting. - Facilitate occasional Malala Fund staff, donor and/or other stakeholder site visits.
Facilitate Gulmakai Network Development - Work with Gulmakai Champions to facilitate their development of joint goals and activities in support of girls’ education. - Identify opportunities to link Gulmakai Champions work with key government departments where relevant, to support wider systemic change. - Identify resources or organizations able to offer training and/or technical expertise to Gulmakai Champions on advocacy, communications, media outreach, and other skills.
Communications and Fundraising - Provide information on potential partners that might provide support, or influence to Malala Fund as we raise money and our profile in the region. - Work with the Communications Team and Gulmakai Champions to collect stories and photographs of girls in our programmes and plan press tours for Gulmakai Champions. - Help build rapport with local media and appropriate vendors. - Provide the Communications team with opportunities to promote the Gulmakai Champions and Malala Fund with national and regional media.
Relevant Work Experience
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- Fluency in written and spoken English (highlight languages known in application)
- Minimum of 3-5 years of related work experience, ideally in issues related to education, advocacy, community development, and/or gender
- Prior experience working with marginalised populations
- Knowledge of issues affecting adolescent girls’ and/or conflict affected population education
- Knowledge of UN system and/or human rights framework for education desired, but not essential - Experience supporting national and local advocates to execute effective advocacy campaigns - Experience of working with the media - Proven track record of partnership development - Strong commitment to the Malala Fund’s mission to empower girls through education
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong inter-personal skills, with the ability to relate and communicate with individuals from a variety of cultural backgrounds across different time zones
- Strong work ethic, self-directed, and high degree of diplomacy
- Solid judgement and problem-solving skills with proven attention to detail, accuracy, and quality
- Excellent communications and organisational skills
- A proven track record of building and sustaining strong and diverse relationships